Health Question

How can I find a registered dietitian or nutritionist?

Whether you consult a registered dietitian or a registered nutritionist will depend on the kind of advice you want.

A dietitian is a qualified health professional, who as well as providing general health advice, can also work with people with special dietary needs due to health conditions such as coeliac disease.

A nutritionist should be able to provide information about food and healthy eating, but not about special diets for medical conditions.


You can find a registered dietitian:

  • by contacting your local hospital or your Doctor

The title "dietitian" is protected by law. This means you're not allowed to call yourself a dietitian unless you're properly qualified and registered.


The title of nutritionists is not protected by law, meaning that anyone can advertise their services as a nutritionist. So it's important to find a nutritionist who is appropriately qualified and registered by a trustworthy professional body.

The Association for Nutrition is a well respected professional body for nutritionists in the UK and has a list of nutritionists who've received an approved level of training.

Further reading

Read the answers to more questions about food and diet

Further information