- How much exercise?
- Benefits of exercise
- Physical activity guidelines: children (under 5s)
- Physical activity guidelines: children and young people
- Physical activity guidelines: adults
- Why we should sit less
- Physical activity guidelines: older adults
- Exercise as you get older
- Couch to 5K
- Couch to 5K: week by week
- How to stretch after a run
- Get running with Couch to 5K
- Life after Couch to 5K
- Running podcasts for C25K graduates
- Knee exercises for runners
- Knee pain and other running injuries
- Exercise tips
- Get active with a disability
- Fitness advice for wheelchair users
- Common exercise mistakes
- Why do I feel pain after exercise?
- Exercises for sciatica
- Exercises for sciatica problems
- Common posture mistakes and fixes
- Fitness guides
- Get active your way
- Get fit for free
- How to warm up before exercising
- How to stretch after exercising
- A guide to pilates
- A guide to tai chi
- A guide to yoga
- Running for beginners
- Swimming for fitness
- Dance for fitness
- Walking for health
- 10-minute workouts
- 10-minute abs workout
- 10-minute upper arms workout
- 10-minute firm butt workout
- 10-minute home cardio workout
- 10-minute home toning workout
- 10-minute legs, bums and tums home workout
- 5-minute wake-up workout
- Do I need to stretch before exercising?
- Exercises for strong bones
- 12-week fitness plan
- Balance exercises
- Flexibility exercises
- Gym-free exercises
- Gym-free workouts
- Easy exercises
- Sitting exercises
- Strength exercises
- Get fit with Strength and Flex
- Strength and Flex exercise plan
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: week by week
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: how-to videos
- How to improve your strength and flexibility
Get fit with Strength and Flex
Not active? Out of shape? Then the Strength and Flex workout plan is for you!
Find out how this 5-week plan will help you get up and moving, and improve your health and wellbeing.
What is the plan?
The Strength and Flex plan is a 5-week exercise programme delivered through 5 podcasts.
The plan is a fun way of improving your strength and flexibility and getting you to exercise regularly.
Strength and Flex doesn't involve any running, but it can be used alongside the NHS Couch to 5K running plan.
What's in the podcasts?
Each podcast consists of an easy-to-follow workout lasting between 35 and 45 minutes.
Who is Strength and Flex for?
Strength and Flex was created to appeal to people who are not very active, in need of a bit of a push, or simply want to get back in shape gradually.
Strength and Flex is an easy way of getting fitter and more healthy. If you have any health concerns about exercising, see your GP before starting.
Why do Strength and Flex?
Probably the biggest challenge of getting active is not knowing how or where to start. Often when trying to get into exercise we can overdo it, feel defeated, and give up when we're just getting started.
Strength and Flex works because it starts gently and builds up your fitness gradually, making the challenge feel achievable from day 1.
Can I do Strength and Flex with Couch to 5K?
You can easily combine the Strength and Flex workouts with our popular Couch to 5K running plan or the 5K+ running series by following the plans on alternate days of the week.
What equipment do I need?
No technical gear is necessary. Wear something loose and comfortable in a breathable material, such as cotton, and pick shoes that offer support and cushioning.
To exercise with the podcasts you'll need a mobile device. Any MP3 or MP4 player will do, like a smartphone or a digital music player.
Where can I do the workouts?
You can do Strength and Flex anywhere – for instance, a park or a garden. The exercises do not require any equipment and do not involve any running.
All you need is enough space to walk about freely, a fixed bench, a wall or tree, and either some shoulder-height railings or a shoulder-height horizontal bar.
What are the health benefits of Strength and Flex?
The aim is to gradually build up your fitness levels so that by the end of the 5-week plan you'll be feeling stronger, more flexible, and full of energy to go about your daily life.
Improving your flexibility can improve your posture, reduce aches and pains, and lower your risk of injury. Seeing your fitness improve can also help boost your self-confidence and relieve stress.
Can I do Strength and Flex with a friend?
Yes! You can do the Strength and Flex workouts on your own or with one or more exercise buddies.
Exercising with a friend is a good way to stay motivated for exercise and, by adding a social element, can also make it more fun.
How often should I do the podcasts?
Starting with podcast 1, your goal is to work your way up to podcast 5 in 5 weeks. To achieve this, you need to do each podcast at least 3 times in a week.
Podcast 5 is designed to be used on a regular basis after completing the plan. You can download a no-intro version of podcast 5.
What happens when I finish Strength and Flex?
Podcast 5 is designed to be used beyond the programme. It provides a regular 30-minute workout to de-stress and feel good.
For example, you could do podcast 5 twice a week and one of the 5K+ runs 3 times a week.