- How much exercise?
- Benefits of exercise
- Physical activity guidelines: children (under 5s)
- Physical activity guidelines: children and young people
- Physical activity guidelines: adults
- Why we should sit less
- Physical activity guidelines: older adults
- Exercise as you get older
- Couch to 5K
- Couch to 5K: week by week
- How to stretch after a run
- Get running with Couch to 5K
- Life after Couch to 5K
- Running podcasts for C25K graduates
- Knee exercises for runners
- Knee pain and other running injuries
- Exercise tips
- Get active with a disability
- Fitness advice for wheelchair users
- Common exercise mistakes
- Why do I feel pain after exercise?
- Exercises for sciatica
- Exercises for sciatica problems
- Common posture mistakes and fixes
- Fitness guides
- Get active your way
- Get fit for free
- How to warm up before exercising
- How to stretch after exercising
- A guide to pilates
- A guide to tai chi
- A guide to yoga
- Running for beginners
- Swimming for fitness
- Dance for fitness
- Walking for health
- 10-minute workouts
- 10-minute abs workout
- 10-minute upper arms workout
- 10-minute firm butt workout
- 10-minute home cardio workout
- 10-minute home toning workout
- 10-minute legs, bums and tums home workout
- 5-minute wake-up workout
- Do I need to stretch before exercising?
- Exercises for strong bones
- 12-week fitness plan
- Balance exercises
- Flexibility exercises
- Gym-free exercises
- Gym-free workouts
- Easy exercises
- Sitting exercises
- Strength exercises
- Get fit with Strength and Flex
- Strength and Flex exercise plan
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: week by week
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: how-to videos
- How to improve your strength and flexibility
How to stretch after a run
Performing stretching exercises after a run will help you cool down gradually and improve your flexibility.
These stretches are best done after exercising, when your muscles are warm and more elastic.
Breathe deeply and regularly during the stretches. Aim to stretch to the point of feeling tightness or slight discomfort.
You shouldn't feel any pain when doing these exercises. If you do, stop and seek medical advice.
Hip flexor stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Thigh stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Tip: place a hand on a wall or bench for balance.
Hamstring stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Iliotibial band (ITB) stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Tip: you should feel the stretch along your outer right thigh and hip.
Calf stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Tip: You should feel the stretch at the back of your left leg, below the knee.
Lower back stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Buttock stretch – hold for 15 seconds
Couch to 5K running plan
New to running? Couch to 5K gets you off the sofa and running in just nine weeks.
The One You Couch to 5K app gives you a choice of running coaches and helps you track your progress.
As well as Laura, who features on the NHS Couch to 5K podcasts, you can also be coached by celebrities Jo Whiley, Sarah Millican, Sanjeev Kohli or Michael Johnson.