- How much exercise?
- Benefits of exercise
- Physical activity guidelines: children (under 5s)
- Physical activity guidelines: children and young people
- Physical activity guidelines: adults
- Why we should sit less
- Physical activity guidelines: older adults
- Exercise as you get older
- Couch to 5K
- Couch to 5K: week by week
- How to stretch after a run
- Get running with Couch to 5K
- Life after Couch to 5K
- Running podcasts for C25K graduates
- Knee exercises for runners
- Knee pain and other running injuries
- Exercise tips
- Get active with a disability
- Fitness advice for wheelchair users
- Common exercise mistakes
- Why do I feel pain after exercise?
- Exercises for sciatica
- Common posture mistakes and fixes
- Fitness guides
- Get active your way
- Get fit for free
- How to warm up before exercising
- How to stretch after exercising
- A guide to pilates
- A guide to tai chi
- A guide to yoga
- Running for beginners
- Swimming for fitness
- Dance for fitness
- Walking for health
- 10-minute workouts
- 10-minute abs workout
- 10-minute upper arms workout
- 10-minute firm butt workout
- 10-minute home cardio workout
- 10-minute home toning workout
- 10-minute legs, bums and tums home workout
- 5-minute wake-up workout
- Do I need to stretch before exercising?
- Exercises for strong bones
- 12-week fitness plan
- Balance exercises
- Flexibility exercises
- Gym-free exercises
- Gym-free workouts
- Easy exercises
- Sitting exercises
- Strength exercises
- Get fit with Strength and Flex
- Strength and Flex exercise plan
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: week by week
- Strength and Flex exercise plan: how-to videos
- How to improve your strength and flexibility
Strength and Flex exercise plan
The 5-week plan consists of a series of equipment-free exercises designed to improve your strength and flexibility.
The workout instructions and pace are easy to follow to make sure you perform each exercise correctly and in time.
You can easily combine Strength and Flex with our popular Couch to 5K running plan by following the plans on alternate days of the week.
Strength and Flex will help you achieve your recommended 2 weekly sessions of strength exercises.
Strength and Flex:
- is equipment-free
- is easy to follow
- is a full body workout
- features how-to video clips
- can be done anywhere, anytime
- can be used with Couch to 5K
Starting with Strength and Flex Week 1, your goal is to work your way up to Week 5 in 5 weeks. To achieve this, you need to do each podcast at least 3 times in a week.
By Week 5 you'll be doing back, arm and leg stretches, along with press-ups and squats, with ease. You'll be feeling stronger, more flexible and full of energy to go about your daily life.
You can do these full body workouts anywhere and any time you choose. They can be done indoors or out in the park or garden, on your own or with a friend.
All you need is enough space to walk about freely, a fixed bench, a wall and either some shoulder-height railings or a shoulder-height horizontal bar.
There are video clips of all the exercises in this series, so you can check you're doing each move safely and effectively.
Strength and Flex will ease you into the habit of regular exercise, which will help you burn calories, lose weight and stay healthy.
The Week 5 workout is designed to be used beyond the programme. It provides a 45-minute workout to de-stress and feel good.
To exercise, wear something that's loose and comfortable in a breathable material like cotton, and pick shoes that offer support and cushioning.
See a GP and discuss it with them before you start the Strength and Flex programme if you have any health concerns.